As part of your initial setup process, you will want to configure several options related to attendance, time off, and substitutes.
Time Off Options
Financials Main > Human Resources > Time Off Options
Set defaults for whether certified and non-certified employees generally have their attendance tracked in days or hours. The attendance mode linked to the employee’s certified status is just a default; it can be overridden for individual employees if necessary.
Work Day Hours
The default number of hours in a work day. When you record an absence for an hourly employee, the Absence Amount will automatically populate with the number of work day hours.
Time Off Types
Time off can be stored into different categories depending on its purpose. For example, employees may accrue sick time and vacation time separately. You may also track uses of time off that are granted on a case-by-case basis, such as jury duty and professional days. Select all possible Time Off Types that may be used in your district.
For each available time off type, configure:
- Max Time Off Carry Over: If earned time off is rolled over from year to year, this sets a limit on how much time off can be rolled over. Leave this area blank if there is no limit. Enter zero if time off cannot roll over.
- Max Time Off: If there is a limit to how much time off an employee can earn, include it here. Leave this area blank if there is no limit.
- Accruable: Whether or not an employee can earn this type of time off. For example, Sick time is usually accruable, but Jury Duty is typically not.
Employees Can Request Time Off Through ESSP
Check Employees Can Request Time Off Through ESSP if employees should be able to log in to the Employee Self-Service Portal to request time off in advance. Employees will only be able to request time off for types of which they have a positive balance.
If this option is enabled, there are two more relevant fields:
- Minimum Notice to Request Time Off: Prevents employees from requesting time off without enough notice.
- Notify For Substitute Requests: When an employee requests time off and recommends a specific substitute, selected employees will receive an email about that recommendation.
Prepopulate Substitutes with
Whenever you assign a substitute, you need to indicate which account they are paid out of. You can choose to leave the default account blank, or you can choose to prepopulate it with the fund, function, and responsibility center of the absent employee. You will also designate a specific object that can be used for substitutes.
Assign attendance modes
Because certified/non-certified status is linked to an attendance mode, your first step should be checking that all employee positions are correctly labeled as certified or non-certified. The employee himself or herself is considered certified if he or she has at least one certified position.
To make verify and edit certified status:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Mass Edit Employee Positions
- Set the Certified field to “Yes” or “No”
- Check all the positions that you want to apply this setting to
- You may want to filter the Retirement Plan column, since that usually aligns with certified status
To override the default attendance mode, you can edit an individual employee, as long as they don’t have any time off or absences recorded yet.
To assign an attendance mode for many employees:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Mass Edit Employees
- Select the Daily or Hourly attendance mode
- Check employees whose mode you want to change
To assign an attendance mode for one employee:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Employees
- Search and select an employee
- Go to the Attendance / Time Off tab
- Edit the attendance mode
Substitute pay rates
Although you can always use a custom rate when indicating how much a substitute gets paid, you can set up the most common pay rates as defaults to choose from. Districts commonly have different rates for certified and non-certified substitutes, long-term substitutes, and various other positions.
To create default substitute pay rates:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Substitute Pay Rates
- Enter a short description, rate, and check the box if the rate is hourly. If the hourly rate is not specified, it will be assumed to be daily.
Time off approval process
If employees are able to request time off in the Employee Self-Service Portal, set at least one person to approve these requests.
To configure the time off approval process:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Time Off Approval Process
- Select the first employee who should approve the time off request
- If multiple people should approve the request, add additional steps using the blue plus sign (+) to the right. The second employee will only be alerted after the first employee has approved, and so on.