Before paying a substitute, you will need to add them as a new employee. Substitute positions do not require any wage item because their pay is managed on the Financials Main > Human Resources > Employee Attendance/Time Off/Substitutes page. During each payroll run, substitutes will be imported from that page into the payroll register.
Substitute employees can be added three ways, all from the Employee Attendance/Time Off/Substitutes page.
- Enter one substitute in conjunction with an employee absence by clicking Create Attendance. After filling in the absent employee’s information, you can link a substitute using the fields at the bottom.
- Assign many substitutes at once to cover all the absences over a past time period by clicking Mass Assign Substitutes. This is particularly helpful when assigning substitutes to employees who called out in advance, before a substitute could be arranged.
- Assign substitutes who aren’t linked to a particular employee absence by clicking Add Substitute without Absence.
Whichever method you use to record the substitute, you will need to fill out the same fields.
- Date: The date(s) the employee acted as a substitute.
- Name: This list displays both employees who are marked as Substitute Only and Regular Employees. You can start typing the employee’s name to search more quickly.
- Position: Make sure you choose the correct position. Some substitute-only employees may have a certified position and a non-certified position. Some regular employees may have a regular position and a substitute position.
- Payroll Item: This should generally be the item labeled Substitute Pay.
- Account: The expense account that the substitute will be paid out of. You can choose to prepopulate this account with the absent employee’s Fund, Function, and Responsibility Center + a specific object for substitutes by going to Human Resources > Time Off Options.
- Pay Rate: Choose one of the pay rates configured or select a one-time Custom Rate. To configure additional default pay rates, go to Human Resources > Substitute Pay Rates.
- Amount: Enter the units of substitute pay in hours or days, depending on the rate. This will be multiplied by the rate to calculate the employee’s pay.