The Employees page allows you to keep track of every employee in your district, run payroll, keep track of wages and contracts, record communication logs, and more. Fill out the following information when creating a new employee so they can be successfully added to a payroll run.
The initial creation process asks for some basic information. Most of the information is optional.
To create a new employee:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Employees
- Click the blue plus sign, found in the top right corner of the page
- Enter Basic Information
- Create Employee
- Navigate through the General, Demographics, and Emergency tabs to fill in additional human resources information.
- Save each tab before moving onto the next.
If the employee is enrolled in TRS and/or IMRF, edit the Retirement tab to fill in their tier, first enrollment date, and other necessary information.
Every employee must have at least one position in order to receive a paycheck. Each position should have the following fields filled out:
- Work Calendar: Which days does the employee work this position?
- Pay Period Group: During which pay periods is the employee paid for this position?
- Retirement Plan: Does this position’s wages contribute to TRS, IMRF/FICA, or FICA Only?
- Payroll Account Breakdown: From which account(s) are this position’s wages paid?
Other fields are optional but generally good practice to record.
Payroll items are the wages, deductions, benefits, etc. that figure into the calculation of the employee’s paycheck. They determine the net pay received by the employee and the liabilities that the school will pay on behalf of the employee.
Payroll items include:
- Wages (salary, hourly, stipend, etc.)
- Substitute positions do not require a wage. Substitute pay is managed separately.
- Remember to mark the wage as regular pay if necessary and indicate which subtotals it contributes to.
- Pre- and post-tax deductions for health insurance, retirement contributions, etc.
- Withholding for federal income tax, state income tax, FICA, Medicare
- Taxable and non-taxable benefits for life insurance, retirement contributions, etc.
- Employer taxes for FICA and Medicare
Items can be added one-by-one or copied from a template. They are managed in the Payroll tab, in the Items section.
Enter an employee’s federal and state W-4 information in the Payroll tab, in the Withholding section. This information must be entered to accurately calculate federal and state income tax withholding.