Instructors will occasionally want to create the same assignment for multiple classes. This is especially true of instructors teaching multiple sections of the same course. Instead of creating the same assignment for each section multiple times, instructors can instead create the assignment once and assign it to each class section. Such an assignment is linked and any change to this assignment will then affect all classes it is assigned to.
To create an assignment for multiple subjects/classes:
- Go to Instructor Main > Gradebook > Assignments
- Use the drop-down menu to select a class
- Create Assignment
- Click the [+] next to the class name under the Subject section
- Use the drop-down menus to select each additional class
- Click Add
- Create the assignment normally
- Save Only or Save & Enter Scores
If the assignment has already been created and now needs to be copied to multiple classes, please see the article: How do I copy assignments to another class?
Cases where you cannot create an assignment in multiple classes
Creating an assignment for subjects/classes of different courses may result in errors. These errors are often related to grading scales.
An assignment must be shared between classes with the same type of grading scale.
- Attempting to create an assignment shared between a class that uses a traditional grading scale and a class that uses a standards-based grading scale will result in an error.
- Attempting to create an assignment shared between a class that uses a percentage based grading scale and a class that uses a points based grading scale will result in an error.
In standards-based learning, an assignment must be shared between classes within the same learning target group. Attempting to create an assignment shared between classes that are not a part of the same learning target group will result in an assignment without valid learning targets. In order to add valid learning targets to this assignment, both classes must be edited to share the same learning targets.
To learn how to group learning targets, please see the article How Do I Copy Learning Targets?