This error can be encountered on response files for the ISBE Student Course Assignment and ISBE Teacher Course Assignment Entry. It means that there are sections that the ISBE has flagged as identical due to having the same state course number, grading period, and section number, despite in fact being different sections.
In order to find these sections, you’ll want to use the Teacher Course Assignment Entry report, as this will allow you to view the list of sections without having a duplicate listing for each student in the roster. If the teacher and state course number displayed are correct, change the section number for one to make each uniquely identifiable. As errors are corrected, the page will refresh and remove the error flags from the now valid records. Please note, this report will need to be run at the school level to correct these errors, as the district level will not allow for the editing of class sections.
- Go to Admin Main > Import/Export > Export ISBE Files
- Choose File Type: Teacher Course Assignment Entry
- Uncheck “Show only invalid records”
- Use the browser search function (Ctrl+F for PC, Command+F for Mac) to search for “Duplicate”
- Highlight and Copy the State Course Code for your duplicate section
- Use the browser search function from step 4 to find instances of this State Course Code
- Identify initial sections with duplicates
- Confirm the duplicates have the correct information, and whether the state course code should match if they are not for the same local course
- If the state course codes are correct, on the duplicate section, Edit Class
- Adjust the Section Number to be unique (for example, if there are two section 1s, change them to section 1 and section 1a)
- Repeat for other duplicates