This article describes how admins integrate Canvas with TeacherEase. For information on how teachers manage Canvas assignments in TeacherEase read this article:
This integration works both ways; class rosters are sent from TeacherEase to Canvas, and assignments/scores are pulled from Canvas back to TeacherEase.
Please note, the integration uses flat files being exported/imported between both platforms. This means that data is pushed from one platform to another automatically once a day. As a result, changes to student schedules in TeacherEase may not populate in Canvas until the following day. Similarly, assignment grades in Canvas may not populate in TeacherEase until the next day.
- Enterprise Data Access is required to use scheduled exports and imports.
- TeacherEase is required for teachers that will integrate their classes with Canvas.
If you do not have one of these subscriptions, please contact us, email@example.com to turn them on for your school/district.
The data will flow from TeacherEase to Canvas, then from Canvas back to TeacherEase. Please follow the setup instructions carefully. Do not proceed to the next step until you finish the previous steps completely.
- Setup a scheduled export of OneRoster V1.1 files from TeacherEase to Canvas
- This should be scheduled at the district level
- The following article has all the details you need to submit OneRoster v1.1: How do I schedule automated export files?
- Setup a scheduled import in TeacherEase
- Contact Canvas to set up an export to TeacherEase
Setup a scheduled import in TeacherEase
Please proceed after you finish setting up an export from TeacherEase to Canvas before asking Canvas to submit a file to TeacherEase. Otherwise, the data received from Canvas may not be processed properly.
At this step, you will stage a server that will be able to digest OneRoster v1.1 files back from Canvas before these files start being submitted to our platform. This way, TeacherEase will be ready as soon as the first file from Canvas arrives.
To create a Canvas scheduled import in TeacherEase:
- Go to School District Admin Main > Import/Export > Scheduled Imports > Create Scheduled Import
- Set the Task to OneRoster Grade Passback
- Set the System to Canvas
- Enter a Description and a Time to Run the report
- We recommend choosing a time after midnight, as our servers are less busy at this time
- For Academic Year, select the current year
- For Where to Import Files from, choose CGS SFTP Account and select your SFTP Account from the dropdown
- For Alert Email, enter an email for the admin to be notified if the export doesn’t run as expected
- Check the following checkboxes:
- Academic year is prepended to ClassSourceID
- Ignore change threshold check on next run
Now TeacherEase will be ready to receive files from Canvas. Proceed to the next step.
Contact Canvas to Setup Exports to TeacherEase
At this stage, please contact your Canvas CSM to ask for SchoolInsight CSV grade passback to be enabled. They will need the following information:
- Export Type: SchoolInsight CSV grade passback - OneRoster v 1.1
- Frequency: Daily export
- The export should go to the following SFTP server
- Address: www3.teacherease.com
- Port: 22
- User Name: The username you set when you set up your CGS SFTP Server
- Password: The password you selected when you set up your CGS SFTP Server
This concludes the setup process. The integration should work at the times you selected for the export and the import. Starting on the following day, teachers should be able to link their external assignments as described in this KB: