This article will help Illinois schools that use e-learning attendance check-in identify discrepancies in their calendar setup in order to report student attendance correctly to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
The ISBE Student Attendance report requires present codes be marked as in-person, remote, or e-learning totals. In SchoolInsight this information is based on the ISBE daily code from the academic calendar. Nonetheless, schools that use the attendance e-learning check-in option may have one of two discrepancies:
- A calendar day with XRLD - Remote Day or XELD - ELearning Day, but NOT marked as attendance e-learning check-in day.
- A calendar day marked with an X (in-person) code, but ALSO marked as an attendance e-learning check-in day.
SchoolInsight Academic Calendars now has a Conflicting E-Learning Days tool that will identify days with such conflicts, and admins can either change the calendar day to match the attendance option, or change the attendance option to match the calendar day code.
To use the Conflicting E-Learning Days tool:
- Go to Admin Main > Academic Calendars > Conflicting E-Learning Days
- The system will parse each day on all calendars to identify conflicts
- Edit a day
- Change the Calendar Day code or the School Day attendance setup
- Tip: While doing this, the admin may check the checkbox Change ALL XRLD - Remote Learning Day days to E-Learning if they want the same change applied to other days with the same conflict scenario.
Repeat these steps until there are no more conflict days.
You can filter the report by clicking the cone icon in the header for any column. For example, you may prefer to fix one calendar at a time.
Let us take a look at a school with blue team and red team calendars. After running the report, the admin sees the following conflicts for the same date, 8/17, on both calendars:
To understand the first conflict, let’s take a closer look on how 8/17 was set up on the red team calendar in the screenshot below (can be seen from viewing the calendar and editing the month):
Note that the selected calendar code is XRLD - Remote Learning Day, but the attendance option is In-Person: come to school. This is the conflict that was identified by the report.
To fix this conflict, the admin edits the day from the conflict e-learning days report and decides to change the school day to be an e-learning day as shown below:
After saving the report will refresh and this conflict will be resolved.
To understand the second conflict, let’s take a look on how 8/17 was setup on the blue team calendar:
Note that the selected calendar code is X - Student Attendance Day, which is an in-person day, but the attendance option is E-Learning: e-learn at home. This is the conflict that was identified by the report.
To fix this conflict, the admin edits the day from the conflict e-learning days report and decides to change the calendar code from X - Student Attendance Day to XRLD - Remote Learning Day as shown below: