At some districts, employees may receive a cash reimbursement for unused time off (sick days, vacation days, etc.) at the end of their contract. If this is the case, you can make an attendance entry that will reduce their time off balance and convert it to a cash balance that will be paid out during the next payroll cycle.
To record a time off payout:
- Go to Financials Main > Human Resources > Employee Attendance/Time Off/Substitutes
- Pay Unused Time Off
- Select an Employee
- Select the Date that the time off payout is effective
- In the Time Off area, you will see a table listing the current balances of each accruable time off type. In each row, enter the Amount to Pay, i.e. the number of days or hours that will be paid out. The Remaining column is automatically calculated as Balance - Amount to Pay.
- Enter the Rate, i.e. the dollar amount that each day or hour is worth
- Select the Position that this payout will be recorded under
- The Payroll Item should automatically be set to Paying Unused Time Off
- Determine which Expenditure account is used:
- Leave placeholder dimensions (such as FF-NNNN-OOO or FF-NNNN-OOOO-S-PPPPP) to use the same account breakdown on the employee position
- Alternatively, use a custom expenditure account
When running the payroll register, use the Time Off tab to import attendance data. The payout amount will appear in the Unused Time Off column, with a separate amount for each time off type. As with all other attendance entries, a time off payout will only import if all the employee’s regular-pay positions are selected on the Employees tab.