SchoolInsight supports using Pass and Incomplete report card grades instead of regular letter grades. This functionality is useful for schools that adopt “do no harm” grading policies during the outbreak of COVID-19. These policies urge educators to consider each student’s physical and emotional wellbeing when grading. Usually, students that receive Incomplete report card grades can do extra work over the summer, the teachers can change these grades to Pass in the system.
This article will walk you through the process of setting up the special grade codes, how teachers use them, and how admins can find students with incomplete report card grades.
Special Grade Codes Setup
To implement this grading system, the admin creates Pass and Incomplete special grade codes as described below:
- Go to Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Special Grade Codes
- Create Grade Code
- Set the values as displayed below
Pass special grade code setup:
Students that receive this grade will earn the credits possible for the course; nonetheless, student GPAs are not affected by special grade codes.
Incomplete special grade code setup:
Students that receive this grade will not earn the credits possible for the course; nonetheless, student GPAs are not affected by special grade codes.
It is important for Illinois and Missouri schools to select a state code value that corresponds to ISBE and DESE/MOSIS requirements respectively. Click here for resources to help you choose the proper state code.
Entering Report Card Grades
As soon as a special grade code is saved, it becomes available to teachers on report card grades entry pages. Teachers can assign a Pass or an Incomplete to individual students or use the mass edit functionality to assign it to multiple students at once.
Teachers enter report card grades following the steps below:
- Go to Instructor Main > Report Cards
- Click on classes or subjects next to the report card grading period
- Click on enter grades next to the class you would like grade
- Import grades from gradebook
You can select Pass or Incomplete from the special grade code menu:
You can click on mass edit to assign the same special grade code for multiple students at the same time:
Consider the following scenario after importing grades from gradebook for the fourth quarter:
- The first student’s grade in Q4 has improved over her grade in Q3. The teacher will leave this grade as it is.
- The second student’s Q4 grade has dropped sharply from Q3. The teacher will assign an Incomplete special grade code instead. If the student is able to deliver more work later, the teacher will change this grade.
- The third student’s Q4 grade dropped slightly when compared to Q3. The teacher may give this student a Pass to indicate course completion.
Special grade codes do not affect summary grading periods. When calculating the average for Sem #1, Sem #2, or Final grading periods, the system will not include the Pass or Incomplete into the weighted average calculation.
For example, this is the Sem #2 report card calculation for the three students mentioned above:
Note that the Pass and Incomplete grades did not affect the calculated average for Sem #2.
After the summary grading period calculation is completed, the teacher will be able to make a determination which grades will stay as they are, and which grades ought to be changed to a Pass or an Incomplete.
Pass/Incomplete Grades Report
Admins may need to find out which students received Pass or Incomplete after report card grades have been entered. The Failing/Low Grades report can help you find these students.
To run the Failing/Low Grades report:
- Go to Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Failing/Low Grades
- For filter select grade code and set it to the pass or incomplete special grade code
- Set other options as necessary
- Generate report
Selecting state codes
The following resources can help Illinois and Missouri schools select the proper state code when creating a special grade code in SchoolInsight.
Illinois schools can view ISBE approved state codes from the ISBE Student Course Assignment data elements file. Check the acceptable letter grades for the field Course Final Letter Grade/Completion Status (Term).
Missouri schools can view DESE approved grade codes from this MOSIS Code Sets: 2020 document.