This article explains how to import email addresses for existing students. An email address for each student is a necessity if the school requires students to log in to TeacherEase or if the school is using Google Classroom Sync.
Adding email address is done in three steps:
Export Existing Students
The first step is to export the current list of students in SchoolInsight, and any email addresses that may already exist.
To export students:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Reports > Custom Reports
- Create a New Report - Query Builder
- The default Filters settings will export all active students in the current academic year. If you wish to limit the scope of students exported, add additional filters.
- In the Data tab, export the following fields
- School Name (if exporting students from more than one building)
- Student First Name
- Student Last Name
- Grade Level
- (optional) Student Number
- Student Email Address
Add Email Addresses to the File
To add email addresses to the file, open the downloaded file in a spreadsheet-processing program, such as Microsoft Excel. Fill in student email addresses in the Student Email Address column, either by hand or by merging from an existing data source.
Email addresses should be unique to each individual. Shared email addresses can cause problems with e-learning attendance check-ins, online registration, and communication privacy. That means:
- Do not use the same email address for multiple students, even if they are siblings.
- Do not use the same email address for a student and the student’s parent.
Import the File
Once the file has been updated with new student email addresses, you can import the file to upload the information to SchoolInsight.
To import the file with email addresses:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Import/Export > Import Students/Contacts
- Choose the edited file
- Confirm that you are importing into the correct Academic Year
- Confirm that each column in the file is being matched to the appropriate Field Shown in SchoolInsight
- In the first Options section, select Student Name (number must match too)
If there are no errors, and all new email addresses show up as updated rows, then Submit