Teachers rely on various files, web links, and other media while setting up their curriculum. TeacherEase allows teachers to organize digital resources of various types in Units, Lessons, and Assignments. This makes the LMS the place to store and share digital resources with parents and students.
Digital resources can be added following the same steps for Units, Lessons, and Assignments; therefore, throughout this article the curricula type will be replaced by curricula entity to denote a Unit, a Lesson, or an Assignment.
When adding a digital resource to a curricula entity, the resource becomes available to the underlying curriculum as well. For example, if you add a web link to a unit, you can easily add that web link on any lesson or assignment in that unit.
To add digital resources to a curricula:
- Go to Main > Curricula > Create/Edit Curricula Entity > Add Resource
- Click on the add resource link
- Enter a description for the resource
- Select the resource type and fill its information
- Options will vary based on the selected resource type. Full list of types is available further in this article
- To add additional digital resources click on add resource and start again.
It is recommended to mark digital resources hidden from students/parents, initially, while the unit or lesson is not complete yet. The teacher can edit the curricula later to mark the digital resources visible. Assignment’s digital resources are hidden when the assignment itself is hidden from students/parents.
Digital Resource Types
TeacherEase supports several online document formats (MS-Word, PDF, TIFF, JPG, etc) that could be shared with students to aid instructions or to be used in online assignments. You can provide student instructions in online documents added to assignments. Students can view these when accessing the online document.
There are two types of online documents:
- Existing Document
- This option is suitable for sharing instructions with students or a reading assignment.
- New Document
- This option will allow students to type their response using the TeacherEase rich text editor.
This is an ideal option to share video and audio files from popular streaming services and other educational resources. When adding a web link you have three choices how the resource will be displayed on the student/parent portals:
- Open inside TeacherEase: prevents need to leave our site
- Open in new tab: opens a new tab external to the TeacherEase site
- Use Embed Code: Copy/paste provided code from a site to embed their html code, allowing content to be viewed within TeacherEase
TeacherEase supports SWF, OGG/OGV (available in Firefox), MP4 and WEBM (available in Chrome) audio/video file format.
Those files are meant to be downloaded to the student’s computer first, then the student can open and view or work on them.