SchoolInsight allows students/parents to check-in for e-learning attendance. This aids schools in tracking attendance during e-learning days.
Below is an overview of how e-learning check-in works:
- In attendance options, the school admin enables e-learning check-in
- Choose the calendar days that use e-learning attendance
- Every day that’s configured for e-learning, students/parents are offered a check-in dialog in the portal to declare their intent to participate in e-learning
- Student check-in attendance code and timestamp is stored in period attendance
- Instructors and attendance admins can access check-in information by viewing period attendance
How does an admin enable e-learning student check-in?
In order to enable the new attendance option:
- Go to Admin Main > Attendance > Attendance Options
- Check the option to use e-learning check-in
- Check-in Period Attendance Code
- Select a period attendance code that will be assigned to students that check-in.
- (Optional) Missing Period Attendance Code
- Select a period attendance code that will be assigned to students that do not check-in.
- (Optional) Check-in Time Frame
- Select a time window when students are expected to check-in. Leave the times blank, if students can check-in anytime during the day
- Check-in Period Attendance Code
How does an admin designate e-learning attendance days?
To set e-learning attendance days:
- Go to Admin Main > Academic Calendars
- View the calendar
- Edit a month
- Check the check box use e-learning attendance for each day that will use it
Repeat steps 3 through 5 to configure all e-learning attendance days.
E-learning check-in becomes available to students and parents after the attendance options and calendar days have been set. Students will see a check-in popup window on Student Main in the portal. This popup will reappear on the student main page, until the student checks-in.
Similarly, parents will see a check-in popup window on the parent portal main page. Parents with multiple children attending school will be able to check-in each one of them. This functionality is available to custodial parents only. A contact who is a custodial parent/guardian for one student but not for another student will be able to check-in the first student only from the parent portal.
After checking in, the check-in period attendance code will be assigned to the student in addition to the check-in time and the person who performed the check-in. This information is visible to instructors and admins in their respective period attendance pages for the class.
The system determines the class that the check-in period attendance should go to depending on the school’s attendance mode. Below we will introduce the three attendance modes and where the check-in period attendance is stored.
To check which attendance mode is selected for the school follow these steps:
- Go to Admin Main > Attendance > Options
- Check what option is selected for Attendance Mode
Self-Contained Attendance Mode
In this mode each student can only be scheduled in one class that takes attendance. That is where the check-in period attendance will be stored.
To check the period attendance as an admin:
- Go to Admin Main > Attendance > Period Attendance
- Select the class you would like to view period attendance for
- Uncheck the checkbox hide present students in order to view check-in period attendance codes and timestamps
In this mode, and during e-learning check-in days, the admin will continue to import period attendance after the check-in time passes as they are used to every day. The only difference is that the import should take place after the check-in time frame ends to give all students the opportunity to check in, or period attendance could be imported several times during the day.
If the admin imports period attendance multiple times, the option to overwrite existing daily attendance info? must be checked when importing. Take special care when using this feature as period attendance will also overwrite any manual daily attendance entries that have been made.
SchoolInsight supports two secondary modes. In both sub-modes each student is scheduled in multiple classes that take attendance during the day. In "Calculate Daily Attendance at End of Day" mode, students that check-in will receive the check-in period attendance code in all periods of the day. In "Import First Period Attendance" mode, students will receive the check-in period attendance code only in the period that is set to import into daily attendance. After the admin imports or calculates the daily attendance students who did not check-in will receive the missing period attendance code.
If the admin calculates daily attendance multiple times, the option to overwrite existing daily attendance info? must be checked when importing. Take special care when using this feature as period attendance will also overwrite any manual daily attendance entries that have been made.
- YouTube instructional video about e-learning attendance
- Feel free to share this KB with students to train them on the student check-in process
- Read our whitepaper about e-learning