The first step in building your curriculum is to establish units of study. The unit is the highest level of organization that documents content to be delivered in the classroom. Begin by creating a unit for a specified timeframe, for a chosen class. Add digital resources and link learning targets to the unit, as needed. This provides an outline of classroom activities and resources for teachers to utilize when defining their detailed lessons.
To create a unit:
- Go to Instructor Main > LMS > Curricula
- Select an academic year and subject/class for which to create curricula
- Create Unit
- Fill in the fields:
- Subject/Class: The section(s) to which the unit will be added. Use the plus sign to add the same unit to multiple sections.
- Title: Enter a meaningful title for your curriculum unit.
- Start/Duration: Use "Start" and "Duration" to define the unit’s timeframe. The “Duration” should be the number of days that will be spent on this unit. It will reference the school calendar to subtract any non-attendance days and determine the end date. These dates are not restrictive; you can continue to add lessons and assignments to the unit outside of the expected date range.
- (optional) Add Resource: Assign digital resources for students to use when completing their work. Resources can be electronic files, videos, or web links. For more details, see How do instructors add digital resources to their curriculum?
- (optional) Add Learning Targets: Include learning targets to be covered by this unit, as needed. Learning targets are pre-populated from those assigned to the corresponding class. For more details, see How do instructors add learning targets to their curriculum?
- Share with other teachers: Choose whether other instructors are allowed to copy this curriculum unit.
- Show/Hide Advanced Options: Expand/collapse the popup to show all fields for the curriculum unit. Enter additional details, as needed. To customize the curriculum fields, see How do instructors manage curriculum options?
The new unit will appear in the the left-hand pane, where all units are identified with a folder icon (). Lessons and assignments associated with a unit will be visible when you expand the unit to view a “tree” of curricula. Using this pane, you can:
- Click a unit to view details in the preview pane and expand the folder to view any lessons, assignments, and digital resources in that unit
- Click an already-expanded unit to collapse it and hide any lessons, assignments, and digital resources in that unit
- Right-click a unit to pop up the action menu
- Point to a unit, then click the down arrow to pop up the action menu
- Hover over the vertical line dividing the tree and preview pane, click and drag to resize the windows