One of the central components of your online registration process is the online registration form, where parents enter information instead of turning in a hand-filled document. You can begin by editing the default registration form, and then create additional forms if necessary. You can find the form at (School District) Admin Main > Online Registration > Registration Process.
Configure Registration Form
SchoolInsight provides a default registration form, asking for basic student and contact information. This form can be modified to include additional fields, or edit and delete existing fields.
To begin editing the existing default form, click the edit link next to the step named “Complete Online Registration Form.” From here, you will be able to edit the description of the step and change the order in which this step is sorted in the overall registration process.
Once your form is created, you can begin working on changing the details on the form itself. Begin by clicking view form. You can then create new items on the form, or edit the existing items on the form.
To create new form items:
- Click the Create Field button
- Enter a description, as you’d like it to appear on the form for parents to see
- For example, “What is your child’s birth date?”
- Use Existing SchoolInsight Field:
- This is a field that already exists within the database, or a Custom Field that you already created for your student data
- If the student already has data in this field, it will be automatically filled in so parents don’t need to re-enter data that the school already has
- The data stored in these fields will be available in Custom Reports
- Create Custom Online Registration Field
- This field will be created specifically for the purpose of the online registration process in a single academic year
- These fields are not available outside of the Online Registration module
Most often, a custom field should be created through (School District) Admin Main > Options > Configure Student Data > Create Field. This is often preferable to a “Custom Online Registration Field” because regular Custom Fields can be reported on outside of the online registration module, can optionally be rolled over into future academic years, and can be edited throughout the school year if necessary.
Tabs and Headers
The registration form can be divided into multiple tabs, which put registration form items into separate pages. Headers can be added to a tab in order to group the fields on the tab by topic or to give directions. A header appears as a line of bolded text, wherever you sort it in the tab. To see how these tabs and headers are displayed on the registration form, preview the default online registration form.
While viewing the form, you can add a new tab and a header for that tab:
- Click the Create Field button
- Select Use Existing SchoolInsight Field
- Choose [Tab] or [Header] to add a new tab to the form
- Follow the same steps as adding a new field to the form
After making changes to your form, you can preview the form to see exactly what a parent will see when completing their student’s online registration. While viewing the form:
- Click the Preview Form button
- Search for a specific student or select a grade level
You will be able to move through the tabs to see each field and description on the form.
Add Additional Forms
You may create multiple online forms if you have separate forms for new and returning students, or if you just want to organize different pieces of information entirely separately.
To create additional online registration forms:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Online Registration > Registration Process
- Create Step
- Choose the step type “Complete Online Form”
- Set the type of student that should see this form
- The form can be created for either New students, Existing students, or Both