Online registration fees are an efficient and flexible way to make fees viewable to parents during the online registration process. Before configuring your fees, learn more about online registration fees and how they work in SchoolInsight.
Online registration fees are sets of rules which allow you to preset:
- Whether a fee is mandatory or optional
- Which grade levels the fee applies to
- How much the student will be charged based on student lunch program (free/reduced) or waivers
These fees appear on student accounts either when the parent pays the fee, in which case the fee and payment are applied to the student account at the same time, or when the admin chooses to apply the fees to student accounts.
Below is the process for configuring registration fees:
- Create fee categories in the Tuition/Fees module
- Set registration fee options
- Configure online registration fees
Create Fee Categories in the Tuition/Fees Module
Online Registration fees will be assigned to a category in the Tuition/Fees module Create the fee categories that are needed for each online registration fee that will be configured.
- Go to School Admin Main > Tuition/Fees > Accounts
- categories next to the General account or Registration/Fees account
- Create Category
- Enter Category Name, Default Cost (optional), Account Code (optional)
Set Registration Fee Options
In order to be able to use online registration fees, first you’ll need to set some options that tell the program how you want to use them. Set the fee options to meet your needs.
- Go to (SD) Admin Main > Online Registration > Options > Edit
- Parents can view/pays fees as part of online registration: Yes
- Enable calculation of registration fees
- Yes - Allows parents to pay mandatory, optional fees, and existing fees. Subsequently, calculates the student and family fee total.
- No - Allows parents to pay existing fees that are currently on the student account.
- Automatically- Specify the fee amounts for paid, free, and reduced priced student lunch programs so that the program can automatically apply the correct fee amount based on the student lunch program type.
- Manually - Student fees are not based on their lunch program type. The same amount will be applied to each student unless they have a registration fee waiver added on the Students - Single View page.
- No - There are no multi student discounts.
- Nth - Issue waivers after the Nth student. This allows the admin to configure a lower fee amount when there are multiple students in the same family who are receiving the same fee. A good example of this is when your school charges a lower fee or zero dollars after the first 4 students have been charged. In this case, you would enter 4th. A lower fee amount will be charged to the 5th student and beyond.
- Yes - Existing year fee balances will appear on the registration fees page. The existing balance fee amount will be included in the total payment. Parents do not have an option to continue to the payment page without paying the existing year fees.
- No - Parents can see existing balance and can optionally pay them, but are not required to do so.
Configure Online Registration Fees
Once categories are created and the general online registration fee options are set, you’ll be ready to configure the rules for each of your fees.
- Go to (SD) Admin Main > Online Registration > Fees
- Create Registration Fee
- Enter the name of the fee. Examples are PTA, Technology, Books etc.
- Choose Mandatory or Optional
- Note: Parents who choose to pay online will be required to pay all mandatory fees and any selected optional fees in full
- Enter the amounts charged for each fee
- Direct Certified
- Registration Fee Waiver
- Select the school(s) that the fee will be applied at and the account and fee category that the fee will be applied to for each school
Note that when a student meets the criteria for more than one type of fee discount, the lowest of the fee amounts that the student qualifies for will be applied to the account.