This article explains the steps admins will need to take to set up their preschool courses to be exported in the Preschool Student Course Assignment file for the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). This file collects information on preschool students who receive various types of funding in Illinois. The courses that are reported to the state reference the seven different funding types that your school may receive. This means that students may appear in the course assignment file multiple times if they receive multiple funding sources.
For the specific state course codes, you will need to refer to the ISBE’s Prior to Secondary Course Catalog (See link below).
This article lays out the following steps:
- Create Final grading period
- Create a preschool grading scale
- Create the preschool courses
- Create the preschool classes
- Add students to roster
- Create a preschool report card
- Create a preschool report card item list and items
- Assign the item list to courses
Create a Final grading period
If your school does not already have a Final summary grading period, you will need to create one. This grading period will carry the report card grade that will get uploaded to the ISBE. If you already have a Final grading period, you can skip to the next step.
To create the Final grading period:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grading Periods > Create Grading Period
- Select the Final (summary) grading period
- Select the Sorting to be Bottom of the List
- Save Only
Create a preschool grading scale
The next step is to create a grading scale to use on the preschool courses you will later set up. This grading scale will have a single grade to indicate that the student has completed the course to the ISBE. The letter grade on this scale will be tied to the preschool course completion code required for the file.
To create a traditional grading scale:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grading Scales > Create Traditional Grading Scale
- Choose a Points-based or Percentage-based Grading Scale
- Enter an appropriate Title, such as “Preschool Scale”
- Assign the State Code: Student has completed course (Pre-K only) to the first Letter Grade
- delete the other Letter Grade rows
Create the preschool courses
Next, admins need to create a course for each type of funding your preschoolers receive.
To create the course:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Courses > Course Catalog > Create Course
- Title: Schools name the course based on the type of funding, such as Preschool for All
- Course Number: Enter the State Course Code
- Subject Area: Choose Other
- Grading Periods: Choose a single, full year course
- Special GPs: Check Has Summary Grading Periods
- Set Mode to Traditional Grades Only
- Select the grading scale you had created in the first step
- State Number: Enter the State Course Code based on the funding type
- Export to State: Check the box so the course will export to state
Create the preschool classes
Then, you will need to create the class sections for the each of the preschool courses.
To create the class:
- Go to Admin Main > Classes/Sections > Create Class
- In the Course field, find and select a preschool course
- Enter a unique value to avoid having two classes with the same Course State Number, Course Name, and Class Section
- Select the appropriate grading periods
- Final (summary) should be checked
- EIS Position Type
- Teacher Start Date
- Course Commitment
- Teacher Exit Date
Add preschool students to the class roster
The next step is to add your preschool students to the roster of each class for which they receive funding. Students may appear on multiple rosters if they receive multiple funding sources.
To add students to the class roster:
- Go to Admin Main > Classes/Sections
- Locate the class and select roster
- Add Existing Students
- Note: You can use the Grade Level filter at the top to only display your preschool students.
Create a preschool report card
Next, you will need to create a separate preschool report card. Though preschool students do not typically receive official report card grades, creating the report card in SchoolInsight will ensure that students receive the course completion code required for the file.
To create a preschool report card:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Define Report Cards > Create Report Card
- Title: Enter a descriptive title, such as Preschool Report Card
- Grading Periods: Choose Final only
- Student Grade Levels: Select EC - Early Childhood and PK - Pre-Kindergarten
Create a preschool report card item list with items
The next step is to create a report card item list, which will then be assigned to the preschool courses.
To create a preschool report item list:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Report Card Item Lists > Create Report Card Item List
- Title: Enter a descriptive Title, such as Preschool List
To create preschool report card items in the list:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Report Card Item Lists > report card items > Create Report Card Item
- Title: Enter “Grade”
- Options: check Give Letter Grade and Official Grade
Assign the report card item list to the preschool courses
The final step is to then assign the report card item list to your preschool courses.
To assign the report card item list:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Report Card Item Lists > Assign to Courses
- In Options to Set, select the Report Card Item List from the dropdown
- Scroll down to the Courses to Update and check the preschool courses