This article will discuss additional steps necessary to roll over WISEdata properly during the yearly rollover process. For a general overview of the yearly rollover process, please see How do I roll over to the next academic year?
Ending the Current Academic Year
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) requires that all students must have both an exit date and an exit description at the end of an academic year. This exit date and description can be entered when promoting students or by mass editing student information. After an exit date and description has been entered for each student, the SchoolInsight data should be manually synced with WISEdata. This will ensure all student data in SchoolInsight is correctly uploaded to WISEdata.
To sync SchoolInsight with WISEdata:
- Go to Admin Main > Options > Upload to WISEdata
- Select an Academic Year
Once the data has been synced, the information should be available to WISEdata for review. You will need to log in to WISEdata to review your data for the closing academic year.
Starting a New Year
In addition to the yearly rollover steps listed in the article How do I roll over to the next academic year?, WISEdata schools will need to take the following steps to get and upload student WISEids for the new year into SchoolInsight:
- Download the Person file from SchoolInsight
- Upload the Person file to the DPI
- Download the Person Results from the DPI
- Upload the Person Results file into SchoolInsight
To obtain WISEids for students in the upcoming school year, you will first have to download the Person file from SchoolInsight.
To download the Person file from SchoolInsight:
- Go to Admin Main > Import/Export > Export WISEdata Files
- Select the Person file and the correct academic year. Check “Only include Choice students in export file” if your school is reporting only Choice Program students to the DPI. Otherwise, leave this option unchecked.
- Correct errors that are seen in the export preview
- Download file when all errors have been resolved
After the Person file has been downloaded from SchoolInsight, it should be uploaded to the DPI. A corresponding Results file will then be generated. For information on how to upload the Person file, please consult the DPI WISEid User Guide.
After reviewing the Results file for errors, download the file from the DPI. For information on how to download the Results file, please consult the DPI WISEid User Guide.
The file will then have to be uploaded to SchoolInsight in order to update the student WISEids.
To upload the Person Results file into SchoolInsight:
- Go to Admin Main > Import/Export > Import Wisedata Files
- Select the Person file type, the correct academic year, and choose the correct file
- Review preview to ensure import is correct
After the Results file is uploaded into SchoolInsight, student WISEids will be updated for the new academic year. This will allow student data entered in SchoolInsight to sync correctly to the DPI throughout the new academic year.