Weighted GPAs are used when schools offer advanced courses that they want to be recognized and reflected as having higher value when calculated into GPA. A weighted GPA system allows Biology and AP Biology to use the same grading scale, while giving a higher GPA value to students who take AP Biology. Weighted GPAs are not available while in percentage-based GPA mode.
How do I enable weighted GPA?
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Options
- For GPA Mode, select “GPA is a 4 point scale (or 5 point scale)” and “Calculate weighted and unweighted GPA”
How do I set my weighted GPA values?
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Grading Scales
- Edit the desired scale
- Populate the Weighted GPA and Unweighted GPA columns with your desired values
How do I determine which courses are weighted?
To set a single course as weighted:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Courses > Course - Single View
- Pull up the desired course
- Go to the Report Cards tab
- Check Weighted Course
To set several courses as weighted:
- Go to (School District) Admin Main > Courses > Course Catalog
- Mass Edit
- Set Counts for GPA to Yes and Weighted to Yes
- Select the courses to be weighted
How do I calculate weighted GPA?
Weighted GPA is calculated on the same page as unweighted GPA. The GPAs page allows you to switch between Weighted and Unweighted modes. In Unweighted mode, all grades are calculated using the unweighted GPA scale. In Weighted mode, the system checks whether or not a course is weighted before doing the calculation.
Instructions for calculating GPA can be found at How do I calculate GPA?
How do I display weighted GPA on report cards?
- Go to Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Define Report Cards
- or School District Admin Main > Grade Reporting > Report Cards