Categories are used to organize assignments in the gradebook and to assign weights to graded work.
To create categories in the gradebook:
- Go to Instructor Main > Gradebook > Setup > Basic Setup > Categories
- Select Create Category
- Enter the category information:
- Category: Enter the name of the category (ie. Quiz, Homework, etc.)
- Weight: Enter a numeric value that represents the weight that the category will have in the gradebook average calculation (ie. 50)
- # of Low Scores to Drop: Enter the number of lowest scored assignments in a category to not be included in the grade calculation
Most commonly, the total of all categories will equal 100. When the total weight of all categories equals 100, each category represents a percentage of the total grade.